An organic movement of people drawn to see the weak and vulnerable with God's eyes, and respond by faith with practical love.

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Resting on God's Reputation

I feel like I spend part of the time bluffing my way through my story, and the other part blazing with God's goodness. Do you ever feel that way, or is it just me?

We all have dreams. If you don't, dig way down deep, sit still for a minute of your frantic day and let them resurface. My dream is to do something that matters, that makes a lasting impact. I probably wouldn't have picked Serbia on my own, not that I don't like Serbia I just didn't know where it was! But God has a way of taking our dreams and putting them in turbo drive.

What's the likelihood that I'll succeed in raising awareness about the needs of disabled people, living without sufficient support and care in a mental institution? Or bigger still that I'll raise awareness and inspire involvement from you? From a logical perspective it's pretty low. But thankfully I'm resting on something bigger than myself. God's reputation.

It's said of him that he's, "a father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in his holy dwelling. God sets the lonely in families, he leads out the prisoners with singing... Psalm 68:5-6

Not me, I'm not capable of that kind of goodness on my own. I don't have enough power, or grace, or resources to be able to help the fatherless or lonely at all. But God does. So on the days I'm aware of my puny weakness I bluff and bluster, hoping I won't fall miserably on my face. And on the days my eyes shift from my frailty and look full-faced at the brilliance of God's wealth of kindness that's when my heart sings and I dare to believe.

On those days of faith I imagine that you and your friends will see what I see. That you'll look through a fuzzy photograph and be compelled to see a person of value and vulnerability. A person who tugs at your better nature. Who prompts your desire to defend and pray, who draws out your willingness to support and shoulder burdens.

I wish I had a clearer picture of these three friends!

If you would like to join me in a bold belief that God is the father of these little ones, who no longer have present earthly fathers, I would love your participation.


  • If you live in or near Alabama I am available to speak to your church about loving vulnerable people, and/or partnering with Mercy's Refuge. You can contact me about that opportunity. 
  • You can pray; that I will have courage, for God to bless us with resources beyond what we can fathom, for the people of Serbia to know God as their father, for good connections and conversation during my trip this July, for disabled children and adults at Dom Veternik to receive all the support and care they need. 
  • And of course you are always welcome to donate finances and services.


Together we can make a difference! Relying on God's promise to care for the fatherless, I am confident that he will be with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!