An organic movement of people drawn to see the weak and vulnerable with God's eyes, and respond by faith with practical love.

Thursday, February 21, 2013

What do you Treasure?

Where your treasure is there your heart will be. (Matthew 6:21)

My heart lies in a metal crib beside a small boy in a country far away. In the dark, in the night, I sing to him hoping his heart can hear. My treasure is locked in the walls of a mental institution in Serbia. Not because I'm a hero, but because I remember that Jesus sang to an orphan in the dark and called her to his side years ago. I was an orphan, not in the physical sense, but spiritually I had no home until God adopted me.

It's that memory that allows me to see what Jesus sees in the eyes of a little boy, not a burden, not someone broken, but a treasure. I can't explain the mystery of it, but if I never sign a paper and never bring him home my heart will always feel as if he is my own.

What does your heart treasure? For years I treasured following the rules, locked safely in the walls of my church, protected from the world. Do you treasure religion or people? I find it interesting that James says true religion is not the following of rules but the loving of people. (James 1:27)


This July, God willing, I will see the little treasure again. I pray that the God who makes the lame walk and the blind see, the God who sets the lonely in families will work for good in his little life.

In your life is there a person whose cause seems 'hopeless' someone the world would say is broken beyond repair? Let's pray together for those God has placed in our hearts to love, that God would display his mercy in their lives.

If you feel inclined to share about the person you are praying for feel free to share in the comments section and I will gladly join with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!